The one thing I absolutely miss about the summer time is the fact that i can get off work at 4 or 5 and still have time to get out to the mountains and back before the sun goes down, and its WARM.
Shae and Megg had invited me to go watch the sunset at Vermilion Lakes, in Banff National Park. Since our schedules are never, ever the same. I said ‘fuck it I’m going’. I asked my boss if I could get off work at 2pm , he asked ‘why’ all I said was im going to hangout with my friends, and he was all for it! My boss is the most chill boss I have ever had. Once I was off at 2pm, I headed home grabbed some things and headed to Petro where I met Megg and Shae. We grabbed a bagel from the amazing Rocky Mountain Bagel Co and headed for Vermilion. Here are some photos of the sunset, it wasn’t anything AMAZING, and it was literally ‘freeze your balls off’ cold. So we didn’t last long but it was great to get out during the weekday. Since, this weekend is supposed to be nothing but shitty snow and cold weather. Yippie for 6 more weeks of winter – damn groundhog.
I thought I would intro myself a little more, by doing a ’10 facts about me’ post! Here it goes..
- My real name is Amber-Leigh, but no one ever calls me that. Except my mother, when I’m in trouble…
- I began dirt biking in 2012, shortly after Joel and I started dating (2011). Ever since I bought my first dirtbike (Yammy YZ 85) for my 22 birthday, it’s been a huge passion of ours that we absolutely love to do together. It will be something we bring our kids up with, as well as continue to do as the years go by.
- The word “Boo” is of huge significance for me. When I was younger my grandfather always called me Amboo or Boo as a nick name. It’s stuck in my family for years. I call everyone I adore and love Boo (although to me it doesn’t mean significant other like other people). So, if you have ever been called boo in my life, it’s because I like you hehe.
- I have two dogs Easy (red nose pitbull) and Eva (staffy) and a cat, Mrs. Meowingtons (calico). I’m not sure how old my cat is – I adopted her from the Meow Foundation – but she’s super chatty, talks 24/7 and love, love, loves to cuddle and be pet. The dogs are her get along really well and snuggle a lot. Easy (7) and Eva (5) are 2 years apart and from separate litters. They are like day and night (just like their fur color!) and have completely different personalities. Eva is always wanting to explore and go, go, go – bounces off the walls and always wants to play. Easy is a lot more docile and chill, he would rather stop and smell the roses along the way (meaning pee on everything in sight).
- I enjoy being outside and try to get outside at least once on the weekend. Either camping, dirtbiking, or hiking.. In the summer times I try to get out after work. Days are longer and after work summits are always the best!
- I only started “majorly” hiking about two years ago. When I had met some girls off of Instagram. No regrets there. I have climbed some of MY highest mountains and seen some of the most beautiful places – I made best friends with two of them that I have met!
- I have little to no filter, especially when it comes to swearing. Fuck is my go to word. I have a dark sense of humor. I’m also incredibly sarcastic, so a lot of people don’t know if they should take me seriously or how to act when I say things. One thing – don’t ever take me seriously unless I say “I’m serious”.
- I’m very in touch with how I feel about situations or people. I always go with my gut feeling on things. I feel people out when I first meet them on the vibe I receive from them.
- My two favorite places in the entire world are Moab, Utah and Vancouver Island, BC. If I could live anywhere, those two places would be high on my list of pickings.
- I have two memorial tattoos. One on my shoulder of a 96′ Ducati, that my Grandfather rebuilt for a friend and named “Little Star” which in Italian means Stella (my Nana’s name) and one on my upper thigh for my Nephew who passed away 3 years ago. It’s of a Lion (because he got a stuffed Lion for Christmas that he adored, took everywhere with him. He named it ‘puppy’). Balloons (for when we released balloons at his service – one for me, my mom, my older brother, and my younger brother). Poppies (in remembrance for him). Both are on my left side, where my heart sits.. ❤
- Music – Anything but Country. Please don’t play that shit when I’m around…
- Joel and I are pregnant with our first child – after trying for about a year and a half. Our dreams of starting a family are coming true. We both cant wait to start this new journey ❤
Last two are bonus facts haha – and there you go, a little more into my life. But, that’s all you get so suck it.
It’s been really nice to be able to get out and get some Fresh Air the last couple weekends. It’s always been something that relaxes me, gives me time to think, and any stress or anxiety I’m feeling just seems to lift away. I can go back to managing life again. My mom coming down for the weekend, was great. I always love when she comes down. She’s my best friend, I confide in her for everything. Since she lives 4.5 hours away, the days I get to spend with her I cherish every minute of it.
Saturday. My mom and I woke up lounged around with the pups for a bit – It was nice to sleep in, although it would help if I got a good nights sleep before! We got ready and headed to Babies R Us to check out some Stroller and Car seat sets, and then headed to Walmart to check them out there too as well. Once we got home from shopping around we headed for the dog park with Easy, Eva and Juno and watched the sun go down. Later that night, my mom and I decided to be ambitious since I had this Cinnamon Bun recipe forever that i found on Pintrest and wanted to try. We made the Dough, Filling and Cream Cheese topping all from scratch. They turned out AH-MAZING. I’m definitely going to be baking some more of them this week! Here are some photos i took while we were at the park :
Sunday. I saw my mom and Juno off in the Morning, which is never a happy thing for me (can she just come and live with me, please?!). Once she left, i got ready and waited for Alyssa to be at my house. Alyssa and I headed out of Calgary at around 10am. We were headed for Mount Yamnuska. Now, I’m not totally against ever doing this hike. But, it was never on my hit list of hikes ‘to-do’. Mainly because of how popular it is (I can’t stand the crowds). But, since this was Alyssa’s first ‘Mountain” hike. I thought it would be good, nice and close. Something new for the both of us! Once we got to the parking lot it was basically empty, which was a relief for me. The plan was never to summit, as I knew it wouldn’t be do-able in the winter, because of the icy conditions (and I mean VERY icy) so we decided to go as far as we wanted and the headed back down. We got up to the first cliff ban, and because it got more sketch the further we went, we decided to hangout at the top and snap some photos there. I get the just of the view. I would say its the same view as Door Jamb mountain and Loder Peak soooo – been there done that haha. The hike was still great none the less. Here are some photos I took :
Now, to get ready for the work week. But, I have no mountain plans for next weekend (as of yet haha). I deem it necessary to take a break every once in awhile.Fresh air and relaxation are both key to having the perfect balance in life. Since I’m in ‘baking’ mode. I think ill do some of that.
Happy Sunday, Everyone!
This weekend was spent in the mountains (much needed might I add). I haven’t been able to get out as much as I usually do. Mainly because of Christmas Holidays, and the fact that I have been sick for the last couple months. Not like, dying Ill. But, the first Trimester of a Pregnancy is absolutely the worst, you feel nothing but non-stop sickness, tiredness, soreness everything you can imagine haha. Thankfully all those shitty symptoms have subsided and I finally feel like myself again – woo for second Trimester! (maybe a little more tired then normal). The weather has finally taken a turn for the better, I was getting pretty sick and tired of the -30 bullshit and not being able to take the dogs out for a 5 min walk! This weekend was about -5, which considering what we have been dealing with for the last few weeks is great. I wanted to get out and enjoy it, because we all know that it wont last.
On Saturday Joel, Easy, Eva and I headed to Bragg Creek to hike Fullerton Loop. This is an easy and very beautiful hike. It takes us about 30-45 mins from our door step to get to the trail head which is nice. The hike is about 2 hours long and there is a view point near the end of the hike which is really nice to lookout over the Kananaskis Valley. While we were driving out we even got to see a Moose, which i thought was pretty neat! It’s not very often Joel comes hiking with the pups and I. So I definitely cherished this one a little more. We didn’t even need jackets, the sun was shining, it was such a great day with my family. Here are some photos of that hike :
On Sunday, Eva, Nicole, Ernie his Daughter and I grabbed some snowshoes from Sports Rent (don’t ever rent them from there, they are shitty shoes – I recommend MEC) and convoyed out to the very south end of Smith Dorrein Trail road. Our destination was the Trail Head for Black Prince Cirque to hike to Warspite Lake. When we arrived, it was colder then I had anticipated, and Eva wasn’t having any of it. So, on go the booties and jacket and she was ready to rock the trial. This is a easy trail, takes about 3 hours round trip. Incredibly beautiful in the winter time and full of x country skiers and snowshoers. At the lake front it was incredibly chilly out. My hair was white and frozen, along with my face haha, but was soooooo pretty. Snow covered trees are my absolute favorite. Here are some photos of that trip :
Now, to get through this work week. So, I can head back West with an old friend for some hiking!
Shae and I went to the Natural Bridge, in Yoho National Park for a New Year’s Eve Day spent in the mountains last year (2015). It was only fitting, seeing both our schedules worked together that we go there again. Same place, but a little different this time. We were able to go fully underneath the Natural Bridge and walk right up to it, it was amazing. We stopped at Emerald Lake, and Marble Canyon. Hiked around a bit and played in the snow as well. It was a day well spent for our last day of 2016. Here are some photos of the day :
It’s been cold here in YYC. Like unbelievably cold. Christmas/Boxing Day week it’s been decently warm, so Joel and I have been trying to get the dogs out as much as possible. Considering come next week it’s supposed to plummet back down to -30 with the wind chill, which is no Bueno for me and the dogs! We have some natural areas close to our house that we get to enjoy. We try to run the dogs so their little toes don’t get so cold so fast. They wrecked their booties climbing up Table Mountain a little while back, and we haven’t bought them new ones (city baby’s haha). Here are some photos :
Getting up at 4am is not easy. Especially for me, someone whose not out of bed before 8am everyday. BUT, when it includes my best friends and mountains you better believe I get up no problem. Megg and I met up with Shae and Maddy at the Petro for 5:20. Because I’m never on time haha – the plan was 5am (whoops!) We headed for Emerald Lake in Yoho National Park. One of the most beautiful places ever! Its about 2-2.5 hours from Calgary. Give or take. Once we got there, we quickly realized two things A) we should up way to early B) there would be no sunrise. But hey! That’s okay. We chatted for a good hour in the car, and when it got lighter out we decided to bundle up and head out. It was freezing. My little toes were cold! Once it was bright enough to take some photos we were greeted with low and very thick clouds. Good mood feels. Maddy knew of a stowed away canoe hiding in the trees. So we did a short trek to it and put it in the glass like water and toured around a bit in it taking in the scenery. Before we headed back to the car we had some hot Chamomile tea and some chats. On the way back home we stopped at the Natural Bridge – which surprisingly isn’t even frozen yet – for some nice photo ops of the Emerald blue water against the fresh dusting of snow.
Here are some shots I got :