The one thing I absolutely miss about the summer time is the fact that i can get off work at 4 or 5 and still have time to get out to the mountains and back before the sun goes down, and its WARM.
Shae and Megg had invited me to go watch the sunset at Vermilion Lakes, in Banff National Park. Since our schedules are never, ever the same. I said ‘fuck it I’m going’. I asked my boss if I could get off work at 2pm , he asked ‘why’ all I said was im going to hangout with my friends, and he was all for it! My boss is the most chill boss I have ever had. Once I was off at 2pm, I headed home grabbed some things and headed to Petro where I met Megg and Shae. We grabbed a bagel from the amazing Rocky Mountain Bagel Co and headed for Vermilion. Here are some photos of the sunset, it wasn’t anything AMAZING, and it was literally ‘freeze your balls off’ cold. So we didn’t last long but it was great to get out during the weekday. Since, this weekend is supposed to be nothing but shitty snow and cold weather. Yippie for 6 more weeks of winter – damn groundhog.
I thought I would intro myself a little more, by doing a ’10 facts about me’ post! Here it goes..
- My real name is Amber-Leigh, but no one ever calls me that. Except my mother, when I’m in trouble…
- I began dirt biking in 2012, shortly after Joel and I started dating (2011). Ever since I bought my first dirtbike (Yammy YZ 85) for my 22 birthday, it’s been a huge passion of ours that we absolutely love to do together. It will be something we bring our kids up with, as well as continue to do as the years go by.
- The word “Boo” is of huge significance for me. When I was younger my grandfather always called me Amboo or Boo as a nick name. It’s stuck in my family for years. I call everyone I adore and love Boo (although to me it doesn’t mean significant other like other people). So, if you have ever been called boo in my life, it’s because I like you hehe.
- I have two dogs Easy (red nose pitbull) and Eva (staffy) and a cat, Mrs. Meowingtons (calico). I’m not sure how old my cat is – I adopted her from the Meow Foundation – but she’s super chatty, talks 24/7 and love, love, loves to cuddle and be pet. The dogs are her get along really well and snuggle a lot. Easy (7) and Eva (5) are 2 years apart and from separate litters. They are like day and night (just like their fur color!) and have completely different personalities. Eva is always wanting to explore and go, go, go – bounces off the walls and always wants to play. Easy is a lot more docile and chill, he would rather stop and smell the roses along the way (meaning pee on everything in sight).
- I enjoy being outside and try to get outside at least once on the weekend. Either camping, dirtbiking, or hiking.. In the summer times I try to get out after work. Days are longer and after work summits are always the best!
- I only started “majorly” hiking about two years ago. When I had met some girls off of Instagram. No regrets there. I have climbed some of MY highest mountains and seen some of the most beautiful places – I made best friends with two of them that I have met!
- I have little to no filter, especially when it comes to swearing. Fuck is my go to word. I have a dark sense of humor. I’m also incredibly sarcastic, so a lot of people don’t know if they should take me seriously or how to act when I say things. One thing – don’t ever take me seriously unless I say “I’m serious”.
- I’m very in touch with how I feel about situations or people. I always go with my gut feeling on things. I feel people out when I first meet them on the vibe I receive from them.
- My two favorite places in the entire world are Moab, Utah and Vancouver Island, BC. If I could live anywhere, those two places would be high on my list of pickings.
- I have two memorial tattoos. One on my shoulder of a 96′ Ducati, that my Grandfather rebuilt for a friend and named “Little Star” which in Italian means Stella (my Nana’s name) and one on my upper thigh for my Nephew who passed away 3 years ago. It’s of a Lion (because he got a stuffed Lion for Christmas that he adored, took everywhere with him. He named it ‘puppy’). Balloons (for when we released balloons at his service – one for me, my mom, my older brother, and my younger brother). Poppies (in remembrance for him). Both are on my left side, where my heart sits.. ❤
- Music – Anything but Country. Please don’t play that shit when I’m around…
- Joel and I are pregnant with our first child – after trying for about a year and a half. Our dreams of starting a family are coming true. We both cant wait to start this new journey ❤
Last two are bonus facts haha – and there you go, a little more into my life. But, that’s all you get so suck it.
Weaselhead Natural Area : This park is one of my favorites. I found it a couple years ago when I was looking for parks in and around Calgary that didn’t require me to drive to far. It’s located South Calgary, just off of Crowchild and borders the west end of the Glenmore Reservoir. Easy to access and offers a wide variety of walking/hiking/biking trails. Because it is so close to the City outskirts, bears tend to roam around here once in awhile, along with other wildlife. Since it has been atleast -30 with the wind chill for the last week, it’s been kind of hard getting outside. But, Nicole and I bundled up with our snow gear and headed out for a couple hours to enjoy some fresh air. The sun was going down, and it was going down quick. It was a BEAUTIFUL sunset. Here are some photos I got :
How come, when the best nights to watch the Aurora dance above you. Are always on weekdays? Staying out till 1-2am on a week night is brutal and exhausting. But, its SO worth the tired eyes the next day. This night was no different, I did my research and I knew the Aurora was going to be out full force. You could physically SEE the red’s and green’s with your eyes in the sky. I was in total amazement and awe! Every time Michelle, Alyssa and I would be driving down the road to go home, another blast would happen in the sky. We would quickly stop the car hop out and enjoy every moment of it. I’d say it was as good as the Mother’s Day special (and that day was AH-MAZING!)
Here are some shots that I got that night :
Getting up at 4am is not easy. Especially for me, someone whose not out of bed before 8am everyday. BUT, when it includes my best friends and mountains you better believe I get up no problem. Megg and I met up with Shae and Maddy at the Petro for 5:20. Because I’m never on time haha – the plan was 5am (whoops!) We headed for Emerald Lake in Yoho National Park. One of the most beautiful places ever! Its about 2-2.5 hours from Calgary. Give or take. Once we got there, we quickly realized two things A) we should up way to early B) there would be no sunrise. But hey! That’s okay. We chatted for a good hour in the car, and when it got lighter out we decided to bundle up and head out. It was freezing. My little toes were cold! Once it was bright enough to take some photos we were greeted with low and very thick clouds. Good mood feels. Maddy knew of a stowed away canoe hiding in the trees. So we did a short trek to it and put it in the glass like water and toured around a bit in it taking in the scenery. Before we headed back to the car we had some hot Chamomile tea and some chats. On the way back home we stopped at the Natural Bridge – which surprisingly isn’t even frozen yet – for some nice photo ops of the Emerald blue water against the fresh dusting of snow.
Here are some shots I got :
This Saturday, I woke up at 5am (shocker!!). Made some breaky, got dressed took my daily vitamins (those are important!) and headed out the door around 6:15am to pick Nic up.
We were headed West to catch the sunrise. Now, this is an awesome location. The water is SO calm and it reflects the 3 sisters in Canmore, AB amazingly. Lots of people know of this place, lots of people don’t. Id rather let you do your research to find it ;). The sky had it up. Pinks, Oranges, and hints of Purple. After we watched the clouds blow up with color, it was off to my fave place. Rocky Mountain Begal Co. of course. I obvi had to get the B.C.L.T for another morning breakfast (hehe) Here are some shots I got! :
It was my girl, Nicole’s Birthday this past weekend. So naturally, the best thing to do is to be outside. The hike was up Wasootch Ridge. I’ve done this hike, many, many times. Its steep the entire way up. But, its short and sweet. The views are amazing and you can go as far down the ridge as you would like. Before we headed home, because we were up and down in a matter of hours, we decided to take a stroll along Mt.Lorette Ponds.
Here are some photos :